Maami in Melbourne wishes everyone a happy new year!
Maami in Melbourne wishes her readers a very merry Christmas!
I love lists and I feel so accomplished when I cross the to-do’s on my list! At any given point of time I have about 3 books with lists for different purposes – blog, job hunt and personal (right now) – apart from my grocery and shopping wish-lists. Keeps me in focus! When I delve at the unfairness in my life, I go running to my lists for a reminder of what I have done and what I aspire to do. Recently, my husband and I were discussing our summer goals. He said where’s your summer must do list? I was so floored! He said he loves reading through the ones I want to do together! Gosh! Isn’t that amazing?
Wait…does that mean he’s reading my diary too??
Update : I have accomplished some of this! Yay….update to that! Yayyyyy! YAYYYYYYYY!
- William Ricketts Sanctuary – we started off for the sanctuary one Saturday on a very cold morning. Radio informed us of possible snow at Olinda and we diverted our route for some hot pies at Pie in the Sky because we couldn’t do the snow this year as well. Next winter to snow….better fitness!
- Tasselar Tulip Festival – I didn’t give this one much thought but when I saw the pictures on FB feeds, I was so jealous. This year, I definitely want to go!…….DONE! It was beautiful
- OOTD posts on the blog – I have been plotting this for so long now but I don’t have the guts for it. I will get there some day and hopefully soon….I am seriously considering replacing this with Flatlay posts!
- A picnic in the Botanical Garden – I want to make a food basket of fries(!), burgers, lemonade, a book and a rug for a picnic under Melbourne’s shady trees overlooking the pond…bliss!……DONE! It was beautiful. Although we bought the food at Lord of the Fries! OMG! Have you tried their fries? It’s deliciuos!
- Walk around Albert Park – anybody who knows me must think this is a joke! But I am serious and I want to complete the full walk around Albert Park…..all 5.5 kms of it…ambitious much?
- A day out at the beach – ohhh! Who doesn’t like this? I used to run off to Chennai for my beach fix, but we have one in our suburb. Literally the backyard. I hope its many days and not just ‘a day’…..we are at a 5 day vacation right in the backyard of the 90 Mile beach….how cool is that! So this is DONE!
- Better fitness – yeah, yeah! This one is a bore but a necessity. Enough said!…..I am exercising for the last 30 days w/o fail and also calorie counting on My Fitness Pal….this counts isn’t it?
Those are the must dos for me. I am also hoping to visit a few of the markets around here and enjoy the sunshine with 3-inch sunscreen. Melbourne, why you no have ozone??
What’s on your list?
Remember this post? Seems like eons ago…because I am back in Infosys “sommersaults” and its been 3 months of yet another amazing journey…cheers for more to come!
How did it happen?
I was working on a contract for a Melbourne company when a ex-colleague told me of an oppurtunity in Sydney. My eyes glowed but was tamped down by the fact that it was in Sydney and not Melbourne.
My husband looked at me and said – why not?
I was like – how will we live? Our entire family is in Melbourne? Your job is in Melbourne?? and I am the Melbourne Maami 😉
He insisted – look at yourself, you are glowing, your eyes have this shine and you haven’t been that way for ages now.
Infosys has been a love that I missed a lot.
He’s a keeper I tell ya!
We took the plunge. Logistically I house share and have half my heart back in Melbourne.
In some parts I have re-discovered what I had in Bangalore. It is tamped down by the fact that I miss my husband somewhat fiercely.
I thought weekends that I spend in Sydney would be a pain. After cooking in gallons for the week, I wouldn’t know what to do with myself.
But…what a revelation it has been! Weekends that I spend in Sydney are spent in laundry (sigh), buying groceries and organising my other tasks that fall to the way side during the weeks.
This sojourn is teaching the forgotten art of making new friends. I realise how important it is to have a circle of friends you can call upon. How important it is to share a laugh with someone other than family, to have a helping hand in moving, to have that one friend who knows someone who knows someone and their aunt’s cousin wants a room-mate/house-mate.
And just imagine having 2-3 hours to yourself to introspect and plan your week. How many people have that luxury?
When weekends are spent in Melbourne hubby and I am cramming moments of a fortnight in 48 hours. We have re-discovered things to do together that we enjoy. Buying a bottle of milk is a moment of happiness. My relationship with him certainly has some new dimensions. It is true that the heart grows fonder when you are away. Those small irritants melt away (why did you keep the coffee cup in the car?)
Husband also thinks I am more confident. Yay to that!
My wallet now consists of 2 important cards – Opal card and the ID card
Jetstar is my new best friend, accumulating something like a zillion miles on the rewards card!
People give you more space when you have only 2 nights every fortnight with the husband
Working with a new team, in a new dimension and a different country educates you on the new facets of work culture
I have learnt some quick cooking skills that my mother will frown upon 😀
Indian food services are also speed dial (more frowns from Mom)
New city = new places to explore = more together time with the husband
Looking forward to the husbandman joining me here soon…wish us all the best!
Signing off because my veggies are simmering. Catch you all soonest!